Sunday, December 15, 2013

Smoked Sausage Pasta

I came across this recipe on Pinterest and I ALMOST didn't pin it. Actually, I didn't at first and when I was at the store I thought to myself that I would try it out anyway. I bought some stuff I remember it needed and when I came back home I went back to find it so I could pin it. It was a bit spicy for our taste so I changed it up with normal diced tomatoes instead of the Ro-tel diced tomatoes. Curtis always says how awesome this is at least 3-4 times each time he eats it. Then when there's left overs he asks if it's ok if he finishes it followed by how awesome this is. So, it's pretty awesome guys.

The original recipe called for turkey smoked sausage, but since Curtis is allergic to chicken and we don't know if turkey is the same or not we stay away from it too. Plus I think that a smoked beef sausage tastes much much better. It also called for chicken broth so I subbed it with vegetable broth. I was afraid that it wasn't going to work, but it did!  I never was one of those that kept heavy whipping cream in the fridge, but since this recipe calls for it, I now keep it in stock.

I make this approximately once a week. If my man loves it, I'm gonna make it. It reminds me of a fancy macaroni and cheese with cut up hot dogs in it.

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
~1 lb. Smoked Sausage, cut
1 Onion, diced
2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
2 Cups Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth
1 (10 oz) can of diced tomatoes
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
8 oz. Penne Pasta,, uncooked
1/2 tsp. Salt and Pepper, each
1 Cup Colby/Monterrey Jack Cheese blend

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add cut up sausage and onions and cook a few minutes until slightly browned. Add garlic and cook for a few seconds.
Add the broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the pasta is tender. Stir occasionally.
Turn off the heat and add 1/2 cup of cheese and stir until all melted and well blended. Top with the rest of the cheese (or maybe a little bit more). You can put it in your oven broiler if your skillet is oven safe until it is bubbly and spotted brown. Mine isn't so I just wait until the warmth of the dish melts the cheese on top.



I know this doesn't look too good, but it is.



This was hot out of the skillet so it's a bit runny. If you let it stand and cool just a bit, it will thicken up.

No comments:

Post a Comment